Here is a story that shows the good learning that is going on at Bay View High School, and the way in which the school and its students are supporting the Bay View community.
A group of Bay View High School students have created an art installation that is currently featured on the lawn of the Beulah Brinton House, 2590 S. Superior Street. The students have been working with Discovsry World and community professionals , learning research and interviewing skilss, design principles and how to use technology to distill waht they have learned into an art installation.
First, the students explored their own archeology, and created large banners that depicted their own personal histories. Then they researched the history of Bay View and designed and built a large circular compass that tells the history, and where points of interests are located.
On Saturday, August 14 and 21, from 10 AM to 2 PM, students welcome community residents. They interview people and record their memories and stories about Bay View. They scan in documents and photographs that people bring, and record and photograph artifacts that are shared. All of the information the students gather will be digitized and given to the archives of the Bay View Historical Society.
It is wonderful to see what the students have learned. But for me, the best thing is how proud the students are of what they have accomplished. The Bay View Historical Society hopes to involve the students in an ongoing project to computerize our archives and make them more accessible to the public.
All interested people are urged to come on August 14 or 21 to share their memories, learn about Bay View's history, or simply take in a wonderful example of what students can add to the community.
Bay View Historical Society
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Lego Club at St. Francis LIbrary
- 2015 St. Francis Police Department Citizen Academy
- Kids! Challenge Yourself for Prizes
- Miss St. Francis Scholarship Pageant Seeking 2015 Participants for March 28, 2015
- Saint Francis Lions Sharing the Christmas Spirit of Giving.
- Cousins Subs Donation Night Wednesday October 29
- St. Francis Civic Center Dedication Ceremony October 26th 1p.m.
- Free Storytimes
- Join the Summer Reading Program--It's Free!
- Miss St. Francis 2014, Brynn Weinzirl leaves for Miss Wisconsin Competition