On a Saturday morning in October, Alberto Figueroa, a senior at Saint Thomas More High School, noticed three suspicious males riding their bikes circling his neighborhood.
Figueroa, the youngest block watch and captain of the Milwaukee Police Explorers, realized that something was not right. The suspects eventually stopped, got off their bikes and started to knock on the side door of his neighbor's house across the street. Nobody answered and the three suspects put their hoods over their heads and opened the door to the house.
Figueroa quickly called 911 and stated that there was a break-in in progress. As he waited for the police to show up, he saw that his neighbors came home so he informed them that someone just broke into their house. The father and son went into the house and seconds later the three suspects rushed out of the house. They got on their bikes and one came in Figueroa's direction. Figueroa shouted for the suspect to stop and when the man did not comply, Figueroa tackled him off his bike. Alberto placed the suspect in handcuffs and asked for his information.
All three suspects were related and one of them had an outstanding felony warrant. The other two suspects were caught a couple of days later. To this day, Figueroa's neighbors thank him for his heroic act of courage.
A month later The Milwaukee Exchange Club awarded Alberto Figueroa the Crime Prevention Award for his contribution to neighborhood safety. Chief Edward Flynn and Mayor Tom Barrett presented the award. The plaque read: "Awarded with grateful appreciation to Alberto Figueroa in recognition of his outstanding contribution to crime prevention."
STM is very proud of Figueroa's heroic actions and we congratulate him on his award!
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Park for FREE at Mitchell Airport while getting unique gifts for everyone on your list
- Small Business Saturday Is Big at St. Ann Center
- St. Francis Christmas Parade, December 6th 4p.m.
- The Lego Masters At the Library
- Park Friends Welcome Santa
- 2nd annual Larry Penn Memorial Concert
- Families raising money for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- Ceremony of Carols: Featuring Milwaukee Children’s Choir And Milwaukee Handbell Ensemble
- Local Contractor Joins Campaign for Hunger Relief
- Wixon Welcomes Greg Gonzales, Packaging Operations Manager