On a Saturday morning in October, Alberto Figueroa, a senior at Saint Thomas More High School, noticed three suspicious males riding their bikes circling his neighborhood.
Figueroa, the youngest block watch and captain of the Milwaukee Police Explorers, realized that something was not right. The suspects eventually stopped, got off their bikes and started to knock on the side door of his neighbor's house across the street. Nobody answered and the three suspects put their hoods over their heads and opened the door to the house.
Figueroa quickly called 911 and stated that there was a break-in in progress. As he waited for the police to show up, he saw that his neighbors came home so he informed them that someone just broke into their house. The father and son went into the house and seconds later the three suspects rushed out of the house. They got on their bikes and one came in Figueroa's direction. Figueroa shouted for the suspect to stop and when the man did not comply, Figueroa tackled him off his bike. Alberto placed the suspect in handcuffs and asked for his information.
All three suspects were related and one of them had an outstanding felony warrant. The other two suspects were caught a couple of days later. To this day, Figueroa's neighbors thank him for his heroic act of courage.
A month later The Milwaukee Exchange Club awarded Alberto Figueroa the Crime Prevention Award for his contribution to neighborhood safety. Chief Edward Flynn and Mayor Tom Barrett presented the award. The plaque read: "Awarded with grateful appreciation to Alberto Figueroa in recognition of his outstanding contribution to crime prevention."
STM is very proud of Figueroa's heroic actions and we congratulate him on his award!
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Rocktoberfest Beer Tasting
- Rudyard Kipling comes to Milwaukee in advance of his 150th birthday!
- R.A. Smith National Given Green Light from FAA on Commercial Use of Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS)
- Local Contractor on Mission to Educate First Time Homeowners
- St. Thomas More High School Prepares for Recycling Drive
- Bartelt Wins Two MBA Achievement Awards
- Babe's Ice Cream Turns 10 Years Old
- Captain Underpants Day
- Free Movie, "Home" at the Library
- INTERFAITH HOSTING ANNUAL NEIGHBORHOOD OUTREACH FUNDRAISER TO SUPPORT SENIORS IN THE COMMUNITY