Saint Thomas More High School students lived out the school’s motto: “Inspired by Christ. Driven by Innovation,” raising over $1,000 through text messages and over $2,000 in all for the people of Haiti in just four days.
On Tuesday, January 19 at 11:00 a.m., normal classroom activity stopped to allow students to “break school rules to help the people of Haiti,” by texting to the Red Cross and donating $10 to their relief effort. One-hundred students and staff participated and in just five minutes, the school raised $1,000 for the Red Cross through text messages. Parents were notified of the event in advance and students were told to talk to their parents about the donation before taking part in the activity.
The school’s Student Council and Key Club helped plan the effort. For the remainder of the week, students brought in donations in order to have a “dress-down” day. That effort netted $1,002 for Catholic Relief Services.
- Sister Edna’s Jewelry Gets Shiny New Look
- R.A. Smith National Named 2016 Top Workplace by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Becky’s Blissful Bakery Enters Partnerships to Create Cutting-Edge Caramel Pairings; First of its Kind in the Caramel Industry
- Mass for Anointing of the Sick
- UW-Parkside Adult Learner Open House April 26
- Spring Estate and Rummage Sale at St. Ann Center
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Announces Summer Youth Theatre Willy Wonka KIDS and Alice in Wonderland, JR.
- Registration for K4 and K5
- St. Francis Historical Society Event