Seventh annual Seminary Dinner to highlight Milwaukee’s seminarians
The 2009-10 class of 36 seminarians will be featured at the seventh annual Saint Francis de Sales Seminary Dinner on Friday, Oct. 2 at the Hyatt Hotel, 333 West Kilbourn Avenue.
This fall’s class size is double that of 10 years ago when 17 men studied at the Seminary.
“The Seminary in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee has such great history and has formed so many great leaders of our church,” said Fr. Jerry Herda, event co-chair. “It is important that we continue to support the fine work this institution has been doing for so many years.”
“Giving back is part of living a full life in Christ and I am delighted to put my efforts into supporting the mission of our seminary,” adds Peggy Hughes, event co-chair.
In this Year for Priests, so declared by Pope Benedict XVI in June, the dinner event will give special focus to priests and the formational process that takes place at Saint Francis Seminary. Seminary Rector Fr. Don Hying and seminarians will join an expected 500 guests, and encourage Catholics to meet and visit with seminarians.
“I have been fortunate to work with a number of seminarians and priests over the years and I have been encouraged in my own faith life by their dedication to serving God’s people,” said Hughes.
Six Saint Francis de Sales seminarians were ordained last spring, making up the largest ordination class in 17 years. They are now settling into their new roles throughout the Archdiocese of Milwaukee and are thankful for their time at the Seminary. “The Seminary provided me with such a strong and solid formation for carrying out the work God has called me to do,” said Fr. Dan Janasik, newly ordained Associate Pastor at St. Francis Borgia Parish in Cedarburg.
Continued support is critical as Saint Francis de Sales forms the next generation of priests. “Wouldn’t it be great to double or even triple the numbers being ordained in the future,” asks Fr. Sean O’Connell, Associate Pastor at St. Francis Dominic Parish in Brookfield and one of the recently ordained.
To register for the Oct. 2 dinner or to support the Seminary, call 414-747-6433.
- Kitten Baby Shower Saturday May 7 at Second Hand Purrs
- South Milwaukee Little League Opening Day
- Sister Edna’s Jewelry Gets Shiny New Look
- R.A. Smith National Named 2016 Top Workplace by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Becky’s Blissful Bakery Enters Partnerships to Create Cutting-Edge Caramel Pairings; First of its Kind in the Caramel Industry
- Mass for Anointing of the Sick
- UW-Parkside Adult Learner Open House April 26
- Spring Estate and Rummage Sale at St. Ann Center
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Announces Summer Youth Theatre Willy Wonka KIDS and Alice in Wonderland, JR.