Saint Thomas More High School senior Aaron Loferski competed in two events at the WIAA State Track and Field Meet on June 5 and 6 and finished in second place in one of them.
Loferski competed in two events on Friday, first winning his heat in the 110 meter High Hurdles, qualifying him for finals on Saturday. His time of 15.01 seconds seeded him third going into finals. Loferski also competed in the 300 meter Intermediate Hurdles, placing tenth.
For the 110 meter High Hurdle finals on Saturday, the weather changed drastically from Friday's sunny 82 degrees. The temperature was closer to 50 degrees, and felt even colder with the constant rainfall. Despite the less-than-ideal conditions, Loferski ran the hurdles in 14.77 seconds his second-fastest time of the season, only .01 seconds behind his school record set on May 29 at the Sectional meet.
“Aaron is the kind of athlete often referred to as a ‘coach's dream.’ His determination and his competitiveness have inspired his teammates and set a great example for all of STM's student-athletes,” said Dan Steffes, STM’s head track coach. “He's the last one to leave practice on a regular basis, and we'll miss his presence on the team next year.”
Loferski’s second place performance was the end of a long and successful career for Loferski on the STM track and field team. He leaves STM either sharing or holding three school records, and having scored over 200 points his senior season. This was his second straight season competing in the State Meet. This was actually his first season running in the 110 meter High Hurdles, the event in which he placed second.
The multi-sport star was also named to the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association all-star team as a wide receiver and was a starter on the basketball team. At STM’s Graduation ceremony, Loferski received the Norb T. Wishowski Memorial Award. This award is given to the outstanding senior athlete who, besides possessing athletic ability, shows leadership, character, Christian development, service, and academic success.
He will attend UW-Platteville in the fall.
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar
- Book Release Party at Cudahy Family Library
- Bay View Historical Society Annual Walk on August 6th
- St. Ann Center Gala Promises An Uplifting Experience
- Free Cholesterol Screenings at St. Ann Center
- Oak Creek resident elected to Girl Scout Board
- Dan Bantz, butterfly collector, will be at the Cudahy Family Library in August
- Bargain Book Sale at Cudahy Family Library
- First Annual Taste of the Gateway: Wednesday, July 20