Did you know that St. Francis will soon be home to an All Abilities Playground?
The St. Francis All Abilities Playground will be a welcoming, inclusive place that’s accessible to children (and adults) of all ability levels. It will include wheelchair swings and other barrier-free playground equipment, as well as musical instruments, Braille and sign language features, and a quiet resting place for those who require a little less stimulation. It will be a spot for learning, for building community, for physical, mental and emotional exercise, and most of all, for fun and play in a non-judgmental setting. It will be the first playground of its kind in Milwaukee County, and many local businesses and residents are already huge supporters.
The St. Francis All Abilities Playground will be built entirely by volunteers and paid for by donations and fundraising; no tax dollars will be used fund the project, which could cost more than $300,000. The two possible sites for the playground are within Greene Park and on the west side of Packard Avenue, between Howard Avenue and Lake Drive. A firm that specializes in the design of accessible parks will work with a team headed up by Jocelyn Borzick, a St. Francis mom and disabilities advocate who proposed the project to the City of St. Francis after seeing other similar parks.
Be sure to mark your calendars for the Playground’s first official fundraiser, a Craft/Vendor Fair on May 17th from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Deer Creek Intermediate School, with local crafters and vendors such as Tupperware, Longaberger baskets, Scentsy, Mary Kay and many more. The fair will include raffles, baked goods, a pulled pork lunch, and a photo booth. A Partylite candles fundraiser took place in April, and more fundraisers are in the works.
You can get updates and news about this wonderful project on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/stfaaplayground), Twitter (#stfaaplayground) and at the playground’s website (http://www.stfaaplayground.org/).
Written by P.J. Early
- Kitten Baby Shower Saturday May 7 at Second Hand Purrs
- South Milwaukee Little League Opening Day
- Sister Edna’s Jewelry Gets Shiny New Look
- R.A. Smith National Named 2016 Top Workplace by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Becky’s Blissful Bakery Enters Partnerships to Create Cutting-Edge Caramel Pairings; First of its Kind in the Caramel Industry
- Mass for Anointing of the Sick
- UW-Parkside Adult Learner Open House April 26
- Spring Estate and Rummage Sale at St. Ann Center
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Announces Summer Youth Theatre Willy Wonka KIDS and Alice in Wonderland, JR.