Take our City Survey for the Smart Growth Plan https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/sfcpresidentialsurvey.
By: Mayor CoryAnn St. Marie-Carls
St. Francis has implemented a Smart Growth plan for our city. The plan includes the development and implementation of a Comprehensive Plan that provides guidance for future growth in our city, identifies issues and opportunities for the city’s growth, and outlines how to follow and implement the plan.
The State of Wisconsin mandates the plan be done every ten years and requires that we study
our Land Use, Economic Development, Housing, Transportation, Utilities and Community Facilities, Natural and Cultural Resources,
and Intergovernmental Cooperation. The Planning Commission has taken the lead on the Comprehensive Plan. Along with the Community Development Authority and Economic Development Committee, it has identified five Catalytic Sites for more detailed market study. The names of the sites are:
(1) Airport Gateway, (2) Layton Square, (3) Kinnickinnic Corners, (4) Garden District, and (5) Lake Drive.
This detailed look at our business districts brought about a joint meeting on November 20th led by Stephanie Hacker and Larry Witzling
of Graef, a company that specializes in helping cities with these plans. Mandel Group was invited to update the group on development
efforts on the Lake Drive triangle. Bob Monnat and Dick Lincoln of Mandel discussed the history of their development efforts on the property. Initially envisioned for a grocery-anchored neighborhood shopping district, Mandel reported that currently there are no quality grocers interested in locating a new store in such a close proximity to the lake. While Mandel will continue to canvass the
market for grocer interest, they are moving forward with plans that create a mixed-use project including both residential buildings, as well as neighborhood retail, office and possibly medical or health facilities.
Our completed Smart Growth plan will be our “road map” to the future. The Planning Commission is targeting April for the release of the completed Comprehensive Plan. Planning Commission meetings are on the fourth Wednesday of the month and are open to the
In addition, the Planning Commission has developed an online survey for the public, which is available at:
Please take the time to fill out this survey, as your input will be part of the Summary and Implementation section of the final plan. A business survey is also available and is being distributed to St. Francis businesses. Anyone who would like a printed copy of either survey can call Mayor CoryAnn at 414-399-0797.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- St. Mark's Project Concern Benefit Musical Extravaganza
- Wixon Welcomes Amanda Hill, Buyer
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- Kaboom! St. Francis Library's Summer Reading Program
- OCPL-Throwback Thursdays Movie Night!
- American Cancer Society Seeks Teams for Relay For Life of Milwaukee on June 19
- "The Seeds of Banquo" - a New Play in Angela Iannone's Edwin Booth Series with Theater RED
- Cudahy Historical Society/Police Bicycle Auction Saturday!
- Teen De-Stress Fest