The new Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) Volunteers for Veterans Program connects volunteers who are 55 and older with local partner agencies serving veterans and their families. Volunteer roles include delivering groceries to homebound veterans, serving meals, driving veterans to medical appointments, answering phone calls, leading group discussions, and more.
Thomas Burlowski, a Vietnam era veteran and volunteer driver, believes it’s important to give back to others who have served their country: “Veterans are our heroes, and we should take care of our heroes. I feel like I’m contributing to the community.” Thomas likes being a volunteer because he has fun in the company of fellow veterans: “I enjoy it immensely and the people I help are so friendly.”
Volunteer Al Marino delivers 15 pounds of groceries to to each of the five homebound veterans he serves every Tuesday. Of the people he serves, he says, “They are really grateful. I see the smiles on their faces when I deliver the food.” Al describes the need for the service: “Some people I deliver to are quite disabled. You can tell they don’t have a lot of money and can’t get to the food pantry, so I’m happy I’m here to help.”
Volunteer Jackie Frymark answers phone calls from veterans who have empty apartments and are in need of furniture and housewares. Those veterans are then provided with the needed items. “My favorite part of volunteering is getting calls from veterans that say ‘thank you, thank you, thank you!’ They had empty apartments and now they have a bed, sofa, kitchen table and more.” Jackie volunteers because “I’m paying back veterans for serving our country.”
For more information on the RSVP Volunteers for Veterans Program, contact Marie Honel, Program Coordinator, at (414) 220-8683 or email@example.com.
- Kitten Baby Shower Saturday May 7 at Second Hand Purrs
- South Milwaukee Little League Opening Day
- Sister Edna’s Jewelry Gets Shiny New Look
- R.A. Smith National Named 2016 Top Workplace by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Becky’s Blissful Bakery Enters Partnerships to Create Cutting-Edge Caramel Pairings; First of its Kind in the Caramel Industry
- Mass for Anointing of the Sick
- UW-Parkside Adult Learner Open House April 26
- Spring Estate and Rummage Sale at St. Ann Center
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Announces Summer Youth Theatre Willy Wonka KIDS and Alice in Wonderland, JR.