The new Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) Volunteers for Veterans Program connects volunteers who are 55 and older with local partner agencies serving veterans and their families. Volunteer roles include delivering groceries to homebound veterans, serving meals, driving veterans to medical appointments, answering phone calls, leading group discussions, and more.
Thomas Burlowski, a Vietnam era veteran and volunteer driver, believes it’s important to give back to others who have served their country: “Veterans are our heroes, and we should take care of our heroes. I feel like I’m contributing to the community.” Thomas likes being a volunteer because he has fun in the company of fellow veterans: “I enjoy it immensely and the people I help are so friendly.”
Volunteer Al Marino delivers 15 pounds of groceries to to each of the five homebound veterans he serves every Tuesday. Of the people he serves, he says, “They are really grateful. I see the smiles on their faces when I deliver the food.” Al describes the need for the service: “Some people I deliver to are quite disabled. You can tell they don’t have a lot of money and can’t get to the food pantry, so I’m happy I’m here to help.”
Volunteer Jackie Frymark answers phone calls from veterans who have empty apartments and are in need of furniture and housewares. Those veterans are then provided with the needed items. “My favorite part of volunteering is getting calls from veterans that say ‘thank you, thank you, thank you!’ They had empty apartments and now they have a bed, sofa, kitchen table and more.” Jackie volunteers because “I’m paying back veterans for serving our country.”
For more information on the RSVP Volunteers for Veterans Program, contact Marie Honel, Program Coordinator, at (414) 220-8683 or email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Little House Book Club at St. Francis Library
- Lego Club Launches at St. Francis Library
- Kohl's Wild Theater
- St. Francis residents win grants through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- “Battle of the Bays” Getaway winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- 2014 Breakfast with Santa
- Sharpen your swords for New Berlin Rotary's Murder Mystery Feb. 7
- Christmas Rummage & Bake Sales at Depot on Saturday
- Wauwatosa Resident Kriete Joins Lutheran Home Foundation Board
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Season of Giving Blood Drive