Date: May 17, 2011
The St. Francis Police Department to mobilize for Click It or Ticket safety belt enforcement from May 23 to June 5
St. Francis Police will intensify its enforcement of the mandatory safety belt law during the annual Click It or Ticket mobilization from May 23 to June 5. More than 300 law enforcement agencies in Wisconsin are expected to participate in this year’s Click It or Ticket, according to Chief Brian Kaebisch.
“All too often when responding to a crash, our officers find people killed or seriously injured because they were not buckled up. That’s why we’re serious about safety belt enforcement,” said, Chief Kaebisch “To save lives and prevent injuries, our officers will stop a vehicle and issue tickets whenever they see a driver or passenger not wearing a safety belt. Our goal is not to write more tickets but to convince people to buckle up voluntarily so that eventually we can reduce the number of preventable traffic deaths to zero in Wisconsin. But if voluntary compliance fails and people ignore the law as well as common sense, we will provide a very convincing reminder about wearing their safety belts.”
Law enforcement agencies throughout the state are cracking down on unbelted motorists, according to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Last year, there were nearly 120,000 convictions for failure to fasten safety belts, which was an all-time high. Among all traffic violations, safety belt convictions in Wisconsin were second only to speeding convictions.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wixon Adds Protein Project Manager Nathan Radue
- Book Signing & Authentic Viennese Recipes at Library!
- Marching Knights Earn First Place in Class AAAA at WSMA State Marching Band Championships
- FAMILY HALLOWEEN HOUSE
- Honoring Grief - Finding Our Way Through the Holidays
- STAR WARS events at the Oak Creek Library
- A Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin Hosts Pregame Platelet Sundays
- SCORE 50th Anniversary Luncheon October 9th
- Cudahy High School Veterans' Day Observance