Last year, with the help of The American Cancer Society, I brought Relay For Life to the South Shore community. Relay For Life is the American Cancer Society’s signature activity utilized to raise awareness and research funding. As well as the many incredible things ACS has to offer anyone that has been touched by cancer, it also offers everyone in the community an opportunity to participate in the fight against cancer because we all know someone affected by this horrible disease.
Teams of people camp out at Cudahy High School and take turns walking or running around the track. Each team is asked to set a fundraising goal and have a representative on the track at all times during the event. Last year we had a great turnout, however; we know there are many people out there dealing with this horrible disease on their own, not aware of the things that are available to them.
Together we can…and are making a difference in the fight against cancer.
This event welcomes everyone and anyone who wants to help us find a cure for cancer. The Relay starts Friday June 24th with Opening Cermony at 6pm, followed by survivors starting the Relay by leading with the first lap around the track. At 10pm the Luminaria ceremony honors those we have lost and those we honor who are battling or have beaten cancer. Thru the night we have themed laps the participants can take part in, to mention a crowd favorite, as the song Dude Looks Like A Lady plays, the male participants don wigs, dresses and carry purses to sites around the track collecting donations to be crowned Miss Relay For Life South Shore with the highest collection total! Each team decorates their site and offers games or favors for sale during the Relay. The closing ceremony starts at 6am Saturday morning following clean up of the field area.
If you would like to participate or have any questions please contact us at www.relayforlife.org/southshorewi
- Kitten Baby Shower Saturday May 7 at Second Hand Purrs
- South Milwaukee Little League Opening Day
- Sister Edna’s Jewelry Gets Shiny New Look
- R.A. Smith National Named 2016 Top Workplace by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Becky’s Blissful Bakery Enters Partnerships to Create Cutting-Edge Caramel Pairings; First of its Kind in the Caramel Industry
- Mass for Anointing of the Sick
- UW-Parkside Adult Learner Open House April 26
- Spring Estate and Rummage Sale at St. Ann Center
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Announces Summer Youth Theatre Willy Wonka KIDS and Alice in Wonderland, JR.