A 46-year-old Cudahy man is in custody for robbing National City Bank, 2701 S. Kinnickinnic Ave., at 2:38 p.m. July 11.
St. Francis Detective Timothy Blunt said the man entered the bank and handed a note to a teller demanding money. The man received an undisclosed amount of cash and fled. No weapon was displayed and no one was injured during the incident.
His jacket was found about two blocks north of the bank, Blunt said.
Video surveillance of the suspect was sent to surrounding law enforcement agencies.
Blunt said the man was arrested by Cudahy police after he overdosed on heroin July 12. Officers recognized the man from the video images, Blunt said.
The man was taken to Aurora St. Luke’s South Shore for treatment and later to the St. Francis Police Department for questioning.
The man requested a lawyer and is being held at the Milwaukee County Jail for violating his parole, St. Francis Detective Kevin Weins said. Blunt said the suspect has a record of bank robberies and had recently been released from jail.
Authorities believe the man might also be responsible for the robbery at M&I Bank, 2701 S. Kinnickinnic Ave., on July 1.
Weins said police recovered particles of the suspect’s clothing and a ransom note, but the investigation is ongoing.
The District Attorney’s Office will likely review the case next week, he said.
Chantel Balzell can be reached at (262) 446-6602.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Milwaukee schools raise money for heart research
- Area high school students recognized in Junior Achievement challenge
- Milton Vretenar: Vretenar made sure many roads led to St. Francis
- South Shore NOW claims a second in state newspaper contest (3)
- Teff Gymnasium forever (11)
- Geocaching is a free, easy activity in any community (7)
- Longing for good biking all year round? It's here
- Flying high (9)
- St. Ann hosts winter market
- Man escapes drug sting after trip to hospital (7)