Cardinal Stritch University on July 14 announced a plan to purchase the Cousins Center, 3501 S. Lake Drive, from the Archdiocese of Milwaukee. The sale price has not been set.
The sale is contingent upon a rezoning and on final approval from Stritch’s Board of Trustees and the administrative team for the Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi, the university’s sponsors.
Stritch’s main campus, located in Glendale and Fox Point, is landlocked, with no room to grow.
The Cousins Center is a prime piece of real estate because it is across the street from Lake Michigan.
St. Francis Mayor Al Richards said city officials would have preferred a development that would pay city taxes.
“But that may be possible depending on what’s brought forth by Cardinal Stritch,” said City Administrator Ralph Voltner. “Certainly having a university in the community is a plus for housing and retail.”
Voltner said plans for the university will have to undergo a rezoning process, which will likely take place in the next two to three months.
Richards said there are many unknown details regarding the development, such as if the site will serve undergraduates or graduate students.
“It’s hard to project what they’re going to do,” he said.
Glendale City Administrator Richard Maslowski talked with university president Helen C. Sobehart prior to the announcement. A planned sale of Glendale land at the western end of Bender Road to the university for ball fields will continue to be negotiated, he said.
Chantel Balzell can be reached at (262) 446-6602.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: Feb. 11, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: Feb. 4, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: Jan. 28, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: Jan. 21, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: Jan. 14, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: Dec. 17, 2015 issue
- South Shore police report: Dec. 10, 2015 issue
- South Shore police report: Dec. 3, 2015 issue
- South Shore police report: Nov. 26, 2015 issue
- South Shore police report: Nov. 19, 2015 issue