Three singles players and a doubles team won their first match in the Woodland Conference Tournament last week, helping the Mariners finished seventh in the 11-school field.
Greendale won the meet with 48 points, finishing well ahead of Wauwatosa West's 34. St. Francis had 16 points.
Sam Dieter-Saskowski (No. 1) beat Jenny Dang of Cudahy, 6-1, 6-1, in her opening match. She could not keep it going, losing the next three matches.
At No. 3, Franceska Gosselin won straight sets, but lost her remaining matches. At No. 4, Marrio Lopez won in straight sets in the second round after a bye in the first, lost in the third round and retired because of injury.
The No. 3 doubles team of Katie Hoffman and Jade Ertel won its opening match, lost in three sets in its second and lost again in the playbacks.
At. No. 2 doubles, Cora Hemmer and Mel Franken lost their opening match, then won their next three. Liz McGeary (No.2 singles) lost her first match, won her second in straight sets, then lost. At No.1 doubles, Andrea Benoit and Carly Glavin bounced back after losing in the first round to win twice before losing.
St. Francis began subsectional play in the WIAA tournament Oct. 2. Sectional play is scheduled for today, Oct. 4.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Milwaukee schools raise money for heart research
- Area high school students recognized in Junior Achievement challenge
- Milton Vretenar: Vretenar made sure many roads led to St. Francis
- South Shore NOW claims a second in state newspaper contest (3)
- Teff Gymnasium forever (11)
- Geocaching is a free, easy activity in any community (7)
- Longing for good biking all year round? It's here
- Flying high (9)
- St. Ann hosts winter market
- Man escapes drug sting after trip to hospital (7)