Girls tennis: Mariners achieve .500 week; could get Dieter-Saskowski back for WIAA competition
St. Francis split four duals and learned No. 1 singles player Sam Dieter-Saskowski could return for WIAA tournament competition.
The Mariners beat Shorewood on Sept. 17, 4-3, in the completion of a match suspended Aug. 23 suspended by rain. They lost to Wauwatosa West, 6-1, Sept. 18, bounced back Sept. 19 to beat West Allis, 6-1, and lost to New Berlin Eisenhower, 5-2, Sept. 20.
Coach Mike Scherman said Dieter-Saskowski hyperextended her left knee during the Wauwatosa West match. Scherman said Dieter-Saskowski could return for a WIAA subsectional meet Tuesday, Oct. 2.
Franceska Gosselin moved up to No. 2 singles against West Allis and won in straight sets. She won her earlier matches at No. 3 singles. The No. 2 doubles team of Mel Franken and Cora Hemmer won twice. At No. 3 doubles, Katie Hoffman won twice, with Jade Ertel against Shorewood and with Ashley Bieske against West Allis Hale / Central.
Liz McGeary played No. 1 singles against West Allis Hale / Central and won in straight sets.
The Mariners began play in the Woodland Conference Tournament on Sept. 25.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Milwaukee schools raise money for heart research
- Area high school students recognized in Junior Achievement challenge
- Milton Vretenar: Vretenar made sure many roads led to St. Francis
- South Shore NOW claims a second in state newspaper contest (3)
- Teff Gymnasium forever (11)
- Geocaching is a free, easy activity in any community (7)
- Longing for good biking all year round? It's here
- Flying high (9)
- St. Ann hosts winter market
- Man escapes drug sting after trip to hospital (7)