St. Francis rode out a rollercoaster of runs and got contributions from all five starters in a 42-37 home win over Brown Deer on Jan. 19.
The Mariners jumped out to an 18-10 lead after one quarter, but then suffered through a 16-1 run to close the second quarter and trailed, 26-21, at halftime.
The Mariners made just one of 11 shots in the second after shooting 6-for-14 in the first.
"We came out and played really well, but then we went ice cold in the second quarter," St. Francis coach Mike Szydlowski said. "We went in at halftime and changed things up and came out, unlike our trend this season, and outscored them, 14-4."
Abbie Windus had seven of her team-high 11 points in the third quarter and Mel Franken had five of her 10.
St. Francis led, 37-34, in the fourth quarter and extended that when Ashley O'Brien drilled a 3-pointer on an out-of-bounds play that Szydlowski put into the offense just days earlier.
St. Francis then scored on a back-door cut by Sam Dieter-Saskowski to put the game away.
"They all had big baskets at different times," said Szydlowski, who also got six points from Robyn Bunk in the first half. "We talked about all five starters contributing scoring-wise, and they did."
Windus added 11 rebounds and six assists, Bunk blocked six shots and O'Brien pulled down nine boards.
The win snapped a three-game overall losing streak and was the Mariners' first league win in seven tries.
"We talked a lot about that last night, that we needed to end it," said Szydlowski, whose team improved to 4-8 overall and 2-6 in the Woodland Conference. "It was one we had to have, which made it even nicer."
St. Francis 42, Brown Deer 37
Brown Deer (10-16-4-7-37) Sydney Nelson 13, Stacy Rademacher 7, Artavia Reynolds 7, Kaya Senaya 6, Kai Senaya 2, Ashyanna Young 2. Field goals 14; free throws 16-36 (44%); 3-point goals 1, Reynolds.
St. Francis (18-3-14-7-42) Abbie Windus 11, Mel Franken 10, Ashley O'Brien 9, Robyn Bunk 6, Alyssa Ahmad 2, Sam Dieter-Saskowski 2, Kassidi Macak 2. Field goals 16; free throws 7-16 (44%); 3-point goals 3, Windus, Franken, O'Brien.
- NOW's user submitted stories, photos will be discontinued in early August
- South Shore police report: July 21, 2016 issue
- #BestSummerEverNOW: Share your 2016 summer photos of you in the Milwaukee suburbs
- South Shore police report: July 7, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 30, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 23, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 16, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 9, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 2, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: May 26, 2016 issue