St. Francis - The city is moving away from its requirement that all department heads live within St. Francis' 2.9-square-mile area.
The Common Council tonight will consider a request from Fire Chief Frank Lockwood to waive the requirement. He will cite an exception the council made to its ordinance when it hired City Engineer Melinda Dejewski and allowed her to live outside the city.
City Administrator Ralph Voltner said Dejewski accepted less compensation in exchange for the requirement being waived. The ordinance has been in place "forever," but does not specify a rationale for the residency requirement, he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: May 14, 2015
- Winter's not through with us yet
- South Shore police report: May 7, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 30, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 23, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 16, 2015
- Tornado watch in effect
- South Shore police report: April 9, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 2, 2015
- South Shore police report: March 19, 2015