A teacher at St. Francis High School has been arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting a female student at the school, according to a statement released Wednesday by St. Francis police.
The teacher, a 57-year-old man, is in custody at the Milwaukee County Jail, according to jail records.
The man taught social studies and alternative education and is in his sixth year at the school, said Carol Topinka, superintendent of the St. Francis School District.
The student told a school employee Tuesday that the teacher had touched her inappropriately, according to Topinka and the police statement.
The school's principal spoke with the student and then suspended the teacher indefinitely with pay, Topinka said.
The teacher was escorted from the high school and arrested at his home later Tuesday, according to Topinka and the police statement.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: August 28, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: August 21, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: August 14, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: August 7, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: July 24, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: July 17, 2014 issue
- South Shore Police Report: May 23
- Police warn man, 59, after he asked 14-year-old girl out for coffee
- South Shore Police Report: May 12
- South Shore Police Report: May 5