Cardinal Strich University, which began in St. Francis, won't be returning to its roots.
"It's devastating," Mayor Al Richards said.
Last week, university officials announced they would not purchase the 44-acre Cousins Center, 3501 S. Lake Drive, eyed for a South Shore campus.
The archdiocese will start fresh marketing the property, spokeswoman Julie Wolf said.
"Despite the shaky economy, Richards hopes the site will be purchased. The parcel is a viable spot for offices, he said.
The Mandel Group was planning to build a grocery store with retail shops on a 13-acre parcel less than one mile away from the Cousins Center. The development could be delayed now that Cardinal Stritch is not coming to the area.
"I doubt he will do anything now," Richards said.
Monnat could not be reached for comment.
Chantel Balzell can be reached at (262) 446-6602.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: May 14, 2015
- Winter's not through with us yet
- South Shore police report: May 7, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 30, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 23, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 16, 2015
- Tornado watch in effect
- South Shore police report: April 9, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 2, 2015
- South Shore police report: March 19, 2015