The St. Francis School District and a former middle school teacher convicted of sexually assaulting one of her students has now been sued by the boy and his family.
Superintendent Carol Topinka said Tuesday that she had no comment and that the district has not yet been served with the lawsuit, filed in Milwaukee County Circuit Court.
Kelly Sweet, 27, was sentenced to two years probation in August after pleading guilty to one count of 4th degree sexual assault of the boy, who was 14 and a student at Deer Creek Intermediate School at the time of the assault.
According to the complaint, Sweet taught the boy during 7th and 8th grades. Because of an injury, he was not able to attend normal gym class in the fall of 2007 and was assigned to her classroom for that period. Sweet text messaged, called and made other inappropriate contact with the youth over a four-month period that culminated in sexual contact at her apartment in March 2008.
The suit alleges that the harassment continued after the sexual abuse incident.
The lawsuit asks that the district pay for the youth's enrollment in a private school, therapy, pain and suffering and legal expenses.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- South Shore police report: June 18, 2015
- South Shore police report: June 4, 2015
- South Shore police report: May 28, 2015
- South Shore police report: May 14, 2015
- Winter's not through with us yet
- South Shore police report: May 7, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 30, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 23, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 16, 2015