Due to the downturn in the economy, Cardinal Stritch University officials are no longer eyeing the We Energies land to house athletic fields for its South Shore campus.
"The board believes that this is the time to be prudent and develop the best fiscal plan for the new campus," said Joanne Williams, vice president of public relations and marketing for Cardinal Stritch, in a news release. "This gives Stritch a new opportunity, however, to look at other sites and facilities in St. Francis and the South Shore as possible athletic venues for its sports teams and recreational sites for students."
Discussions on purchasing the Cousins Center without the We Energies property will continue, according to the release.
In July, 2008, Cardinal Stritch University began negotiations with the Archdiocese of Milwaukee to purchase the Cousins Center, 3501 S. Lake Drive. The 415,000-square-foot building has been underused for years and the Archdiocese wanted to sell the property. The purchase agreement under negotiation was contingent upon also buying about 90 acres to the south of the Cousins Center owned by We Energies, for use as athletic fields on the new campus, according to the release.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: May 7, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 30, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 23, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 16, 2015
- Tornado watch in effect
- South Shore police report: April 9, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 2, 2015
- South Shore police report: March 19, 2015
- South Shore police report: March 5, 2015
- South Shore police report: Feb. 26, 2015